Life is filled with uncertainty, but for seniors, the unknowns can feel overwhelming regarding future care needs and expenses. Working with experienced elder law attorneys to create a life plan can help put your mind at ease and ensure that your wishes regarding your care are carried out.
What is Life Care Planning?
Life care planning involves working with experienced elder law attorneys to construct a customized plan that thoroughly assesses an individual’s complete future care needs. This includes defining likely medical treatments and appointments, therapies, at-home nursing assistance, accessibility tools and home modifications, transportation services, and other support required to maintain the best possible physical health and quality of life despite illness or mobility challenges.
Once current and future care requirements are determined, the attendant expenses can also be reliably estimated over months and years to come. With cost projections available, various options to fund care, like insurance, private payments, and public assistance eligibility, can be arranged in advance.
Why Life Care Planning Matters
Getting life care planning guidance from elder law attorneys delivers multifaceted benefits:
- Preparedness: No one can predict the future, especially medical challenges. But life care planning allows for identifying probable needs and costs so families can financially and logistically prepare in advance rather than make difficult decisions amidst a health crisis.
- Proactivity: Individuals can take charge of their own care by outlining specifics regarding the type, frequency, location, and delivery method of future services needed to preserve functioning and independence.
- Peace of Mind: Facing the uncertainty of serious illness or loss of mobility can be stressful. But detailing plans for support brings confidence rather than anxiety about receiving attentive care.
- Increased Access to Care Options: Determining eligibility for public health programs like Medicaid early can open doors to essential care services. Veterans also gain access to additional assistance.
- Focus on Quality of Life: The ultimate purpose of life care planning is optimizing daily living. Getting the necessary medical and life-preserving care is just one component. Enabling activities, relationships, and joy is also central.
- Customized Recommendations: Since every individual situation is unique, the life care plan is tailored to meet the specific diagnosed conditions and related needs of a senior loved one.
The Applegate & Dillman Difference
Applegate & Dillman Elder Law’s extensive expertise in estates and trusts, asset protection, and public benefits make them uniquely qualified to deliver exceptional life care planning. Their legal team can:
- Conduct thorough health assessments identifying all physical, medical, cognitive, and mental health needs impacting quality care. This is done in consultation with each client and their physicians.
- Estimate costs associated with treatments, equipment, modifications, assistance, or facilities needed daily or periodically.
- Outline all viable options to fund future care, integrating private resources and eligibility for government health programs.
- Connect clients with high-quality referred providers to deliver defined care and support services.
- Continually review and revise plans as health situations evolve.